Record Store Day 2017 is happening in Singapore, and local record stores are celebrating the day in style.
While we'll get to that in a separate piece, Vinylicious Records and The Analog Vault have revealed some of the titles that will appear in their stores on April 22nd.
Click here for more info!
Each store has shared a few of the many hotly-anticipated records that will be on shelves — at least, until collectors grab them first once doors open.
Amongst the titles Vinylicious Records posted include:
- a previously unreleased 12" version of Pink Floyd's psychedelic masterwork, 'Interstellar Overdrive',
- the sought-after BOWPROMO rarity by David Bowie,
- Mew's famed 2002 album Frengers on white vinyl,
- the soundtrack for 1997 film Space Jam,
- several 12" singles by Prince,
- an obscure early album by Tegan & Sara,
- Vangelis' grandiose synth score for sci-fi film Blade Runner on picture disc,
- and a compilation of 60s Asian garage pop featuring Singaporean acts Naomi & The Boys, Rita Chao, Penny Lim and The Quests.
Oh yeah, there's also the classic reggae album Legalize It by Peter Tosh... on pot-scented vinyl (don't worry, the actual thing was not involved.)
The Analog Vault, staying true to their hip-hop, indie and electronic-leaning curation, presents a great selection of titles as well:
- live recordings by Two Door Cinema Club, Animal Collective and Lou Reed,
- a beloved Beatles cover by Andre 3000,
- a book/vinyl bundle of Slick Rick's classic 'Children's Story',
- Patti Smith's 'Hey Joe',
- Hudson Mohawke's mind-warping soundtrack for video game Watch Dogs 2,
- a lost soundtrack by jazz pianist Thelonious Monk,
- along with Coheed & Cambria's classic prog-punk epic Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness.
Along with the two stores, Retrophonic Records has revealed their own eclectic selection on their Facebook event page, which includes:
- a picture disc reissue of Avenged Sevenfold's Waking The Fallen,
- a live recording of Motorhead's final concert,
- The Smiths' classic single 'The Boy With A Thorn On His Side' on 7" vinyl
- Indie rock band The Wombats' celebrated second album This Modern Glitch
- a 7" box set of Sex Pistols singles, among many others.
Some of these titles will be available across all three stores, but either way, this Saturday will be a great excuse for you to indulge a day of record shopping, if your usual weekends are packed.
Elsewhere, Singaporean label Ujikaji Records will also be commemorating Record Store Day by releasing a new album by Australian sound and visual artist Marco Fusinato titled Spectral Arrows: Singapore exclusively on vinyl, along with a CD release of Crows that have no eyes, a collaborative effort by Yan Jun and Yuen Chee Wai. Both albums will be available for purchase on Ujikaji's Bandcamp page.
Both Vinylicious Records and The Analog Vault open at 1pm, while Retrophonic Records open their doors earlier at 11am.
You can find the locations of these stores, and other great record stores, in our vinyl guide here.