The latest initiative from DJ Mag will bring the nightlife experience to your homes.
Named "Top 100 Clubs Virtual World Tour", the project is part of the British electronic music, DJ, and club culture magazine's efforts to celebrate and support the international nightclub industry, which has been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Scheduled to be launched on 15 May 2021, the nine-week-long digital event will showcase clubs of all sizes from around the world through a number of different sets. Electronic music clubs can participate in the world tour by submitting recordings of DJ sets in empty venues or past sets that took place when they were at their peak. Clubs that are legally permitted to operate also have the option of submitting live sets.
Clubs can apply to be a part of the virtual world tour by emailing email@example.com. The showcase will be streamed via DJ Mag's Facebook page, and YouTube and Twitch channels.
Zouk Singapore (Credit: DJ Mag)
Oqtagon in Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines (Credit: DJ Mag)
Top 100 Clubs Virtual World Tour will coincide with the launch of the 2021 edition of DJ Mag's annual Top 100 Clubs poll. Set to run from 12 May 2021 to 14 July 2021, the poll will allow club-goers to vote for the year's most exciting international dancefloors.
Last year's list comprised a number of clubs from Asia, including:
- Zouk Singapore, Singapore (Position: 9)
- Octagon, Seoul, South Korea (Position: 10)
- Illuzion, Phuket, Thailand (Position: 21)
- Zouk KL, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Position: 27)
- Space Plus Shanghai, Shanghai, China (Position: 37)
- Oqtagon, Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines (Position: 47)
- Playhouse, Chengdu, China (Position: 49)
- Superface, Shenzhen, China (Position: 55)
- Ai Nightclub, Taipei, Taiwan (Position: 57)
- WOMB, Tokyo, Japan (Position: 58)
- Chroma, Incheon, South Korea (Position: 59)
- WARP, Tokyo, Japan (Position: 62)
- 1/3 One Third, Beijing, China (Position: 63)
- Onyx, Bangkok, Thailand (Position: 64)
- Club Illusion, Zhuhai, China (Position: 69)
- Insanity, Bangkok, Thailand (Position: 70)
- Stellar Night Club, Xiamen, China (Position: 71)
- Envy, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (Position: 72)
- SOS Club, Hangzhou, China (Position: 73)
- Cé La Vi, Singapore (Position: 79)
- First, Changzhou, China (Position: 80)
- Catwalk, Guangzhou, China (Position: 88)
- LXXY, Bali, Indonesia (Position: 90)
- Space Plus Nanjing, Nanjing, China (Position: 92)
- Club Galame, Foshan, China (Position: 93)
Additionally, club enthusiasts can show their support for the nightclub industry by helping to raise funds for struggling clubs. Fundraising efforts by clubs across the world can be viewed via a directory on top100clubs.com as well as on voting pages.
"While dancefloors in certain parts of the world are beginning to reopen, many more are unable to do so. We believe this year’s reimagined Top 100 Clubs will provide an exciting new platform for our community to celebrate and support global nightclub culture safely, until we can all return to the dancefloor together," said DJ Mag's Managing Director Martin Carvell.
Voting for Top 100 Clubs 2021 will take place via vote.djmag.com from 12 May 2021 to 14 July 2021.